Cape Maclear EcoLodge
Enjoy Lake Malawi… Contribute to the Local Economy and Preserve a Healthy Ecosystem
Cape Maclear EcoLodge is maintained and operated by HEEED (Health, Education, Environment and Economic Development) Malawi, www.heeedmalawi.net. This registered non-profit Malawian NGO, was established in 2004 by the World Wide Fund for Nature. HEEED is 100% staffed by local residents of Chembe Village. They are committed to showing you the true Warm Heart of Africa and to promoting sustainable development within their community. The lodge and associated projects created by HEEED (in nearby Panda Garden) are designed to benefit both the environment and local community. Some of these projects include:
1. Environmental and health education programmes– Children’s evening educational video programme
– Snorkelling and fish identification in Lake Malawi National Park
– Art and environment programme – children’s courses
– Nutrition programme
– Hiv/AIDS education for children using cartoon characters in books and videos.
2. Bilharzia monitoring, eradication and reduction programme
3. Fish monitoring and conservation
4. Production of educational materials such as Lake Malawi National Park: World Heritage Site and Hiding Hyena and Underwater Videos and Guides of Lake Malawi
5. Organic gardening
6. Aquaculture for fish production and nutrient-rich water for organic garden.
7. Briquette making from organic waste to substitute fire-wood
8. Production of fuel efficient (mud/cement) stoves
9. Recycling paper and organic waste to create works of art + products for sale
10. Orphan-feeding and education programme
11. Tourist education programme including kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking and boat trips with sunset cruises.
Volunteer opportunities exist to preserve and protect Lake Malawi National Park and to work for the well-being of the communities adjacent to LMNP. A healthy environment requires healthy communities. Cape Maclear EcoLodge provides a comfortable and tranquil experience to learn more about this marvelous locality which was deemed by the United Nations as a World Heritage Site. Cape Maclear EcoLodge is a facility exclusive for its guests and volunteers and looks forward to offering you a unique Cape Maclear welcome.
Since Easter 2013, Cape Maclear EcoLodge, Chembe offers a range of modestly-priced accommodation and a simple menu in lush and quiet, lake-side surroundings.” More information on the lodge and outdoor activities (including kayaking, hiking and scuba-diving) is also available here.